Frequently Asked Questions
What is included in the price of a Journey?
- All accommodations; meals; selected wine and other beverages
- A social hour each evening
- Private tours and tastings
- Entrance fees to all group and individual events
- The services of your experienced guide
- All transportation during the tour; luggage transfers; comprehensive trip literature
- Complimentary DOMAINES & TERROIRS amenities
- All gratuities for special events, local guides, transfers, hotels and restaurants
The trip specific itineraries can provide more detail on inclusions.
What is not included in the price of a Journey?
- Airfare to and from the pickup location
- Transportation to the pick-up location
- Lodging before and after the Journey
- Gratuities for DOMAINES & TERROIRS guides
- Special wines or beverages other than those included
- Personal items purchased during your Journey
- The cost of shipping your purchases
How big are the groups?
The average group size on a DOMAINES & TERROIRS JOURNEY is between 6 and 8 guests. Enrolment is capped at 8 guests per JOURNEY; this ensures our guests receive personal custom from each of our world-class guides.
How do I choose the right Journey?
Use any one of these methods to help you narrow down the choices:
- Start by identifying a general region that interests you
- Decide the dates that work for you
- Choose the level of comfort you want to have during your trip: TERROIRS JourneyS or DOMAINES JOURNEYS (see description below of the difference)
Please contact us at any point during your decision-making process to discuss the trip, accommodations and your personal needs to assist you in planning your JOURNEY.
What’s the difference between a Domaines Journey and a Terroirs Journey?
TERROIRS JOURNEYS provide our guests with an authentic experience of the regions we visit. We generally will stay in three-star accommodations with an occasional four-star accommodation added due to its unique representation of its region.
For those who prefer a vacation that is more luxurious, our DOMAINES JOURNEYS offer everything from four-star accommodations to world-class dinners, private wine tastings, exclusive tours, and more.
How do I reserve a place on a Journey?
There are several ways to reserve your JOURNEY.
- Contact us by email at email@example.com with your query, contact information and preferred time of day for contact and we will ring you directly.
- Start your reservation by booking on line and we will ring you to follow up via phone to complete the reservation.
- If you make a reservation before 90 days prior to the trip, a €750 deposit is due at the time of booking. If you reserve your trip less than 90 days prior to the departure, the full balance is due at the time of booking.
We are members of the Protected Travel Services which means your payments are held in your personal trust account, where it remains and is supervised by an appointed Trustee. In addition to being held in the trust, you also have a financial guarantee from the Protected Travel Services. This ensures the money you have paid is safely protected and available for reimbursement, subject to cancellation fees.
When you make a booking, you will be supplied with a guarantee certificate – you can see the terms of our guarantee on the website of Protected Travel Services.
Please see below for information on when to book and what to do if you need to cancel.
How far in advance do I need to book my Journey?
We recommend booking your trip at least 90 days prior to departure. Trips do sell out or become otherwise unavailable, so booking early is the most reliable means of guaranteeing you a place. Based on availability, last minute bookings can be accommodated up to one week prior to departure.
What kind of Journey information does Domaines & Terroirs provide?
- When you book your Journey we will send you a guest confirmation letter.
- Approximately six weeks prior to departure you will receive an exclusive DOMAINES & TERROIRS JOURNEY PACKAGE, although you can download sections now to become more familiar with the JOURNEY. The JOURNEY PACKAGE includes destination and trip-specific information, local and regional history, cultural tips, as well as suggestions for packing and general trip preparation.
- One week prior to the start of your JOURNEY, you will receive an email containing the contact information of your guide, a trip start meeting location reminder and any last minute information that your guide feel is pertinent.
- Once you arrive at your pickup destination, your Guide hosts a welcome lunch where they brief you on the day’s upcoming activities and give you a special package containing daily route guides and a detailed map allowing you to follow along as we explore the new surroundings.
It’s a good idea to let us know your travel plans prior and after and any travel contact information just in case we need to contact you.
What if I have to change or cancel my Journey?
If you must cancel your JOURNEY more than 90 days prior to departure, there is a cancellation fee of €250 per person; between 61 – 90 days prior to departure there is a cancellation fee of 25% of the original JOURNEY price; between 31 – 60 days prior to departure there is a cancellation fee of 50% of the original JOURNEY price; between 15 – 30 days prior to departure there is a cancellation fee of 75% of the original JOURNEY price; there is no refund for cancelling a trip less than 15 days prior to departure.
If you choose to change your JOURNEY more than 90 days prior to departure, you may do so with no fee. If you choose to change your JOURNEY within 60 days of the original trip start, the cancellation policy outlined above will apply. Please be aware that it is only possible to move to another trip within one year of the original trip departure date.
Do I need travel insurance?
DOMAINES & TERROIRS requires each of our guest has travel insurance in the event of a medical emergency, lost baggage, or if you need to cancel your trip. DOMAINES & TERROIRS has a custom travel insurance package available through Travel Guard. The price of insurance is based on your trip cost. Please contact us for more details. You may also purchase insurance on your own. The DOMAINES & TERROIRS insurance policy is non-refundable.
Can you help me with my travel arrangements?
DOMAINES & TERROIRS offers assistance through an associated Travel Agent to assist you with your additional travel needs. For a nominal fee, our dedicated Travel Agent can reserve your airfare, pre- and post-trip accommodations, rental cars, train tickets and additional sight-seeing activities.
Will someone meet me at the airport or train station? Are transfers included?
As participants arrive from different countries on different flights the group meets at a centrally located meeting point, details are provided in your JOURNEY itinerary. These meeting points vary depending on the region of the JOURNEY and are selected based on accessibility. Airport or train station transfers are not included. In most cases our guests will either be met by their guide to be taken to the welcome lunch or they will be instructed to take a taxi to the joining hotel. Detailed joining instructions are provided with your final JOURNEY Documents.
What kind of travel documentation do I need?
All international and continental travel, for both Canadians and Americans, requires a valid passport. Citizens of the United Kingdom and other EU nationals require a valid Identity Card or passport. Other nationalities may need to obtain a visa. If you do not have a passport and/or need a visa, contact the appropriate consulate nearest you. For US citizens: US Government.
If I book a Journey, can I be guaranteed that it will run?
We need a minimum of six people to run most of our JOURNEYS and all of them are for a maximum of eight guests. As long as this minimum guest enrollment is met, JOURNEYS are guaranteed to run. If a JOURNEY must be cancelled due to low enrollment, we will make every effort to do so at least 60 days prior to the JOURNEY start and a full refund will be issued. JOURNEYS will not be cancelled due to low enrollment within 45 days of the trip start.
What does “double occupancy” mean?
Our prices are per person based on two people sharing a room.
What is a single supplement? Do I have to pay it if I am travelling solo?
Because our prices are based on double occupancy, we offer a single supplement to those guests travelling solo who would like to guarantee their own private room. This supplement is in addition to the standard JOURNEY price.
If you would like a roommate, we will do our best to pair you with a suitable solo traveller (of the same gender). If no roommate is available there is no additional charge if you book more than 30 days in advance of the trip. If you book within 30 days and we cannot pair you with a roommate, the single supplement fee will be required.
Can I bring my kids?
DOMAINES & TERROIRS JOURNEYS have been designed for adults who love epicurean experiences and venues, and who enjoy the stimulation of being with other likeminded adults. Many of our JOURNEYS can be customized as family tours with selected hotels, restaurants and activities specifically designed with children in mind.
How much free time will I have on a Domaines & Terroirs Journeys?
Your DOMAINES & TERROIRS JOURNEY is designed with travel and activities each day to allow you to become fully immersed in the local culture, discover all the terroirs the region has to offer and get to know your fellow explorers. A few destinations have been planned to allow individual touring. We also understand that the nature of our JOURNEYS required some personal down time. To that end, at the end of each day’s JOURNEY, time has been set aside as your own and if you prefer to skip a meal to seek some solitude, just let your guide know in advance.
What kind of shape do I need to be in for a Journey?
Each day combines travel, tours and yes, eating! Although you can partake as much or as little as you like of the food venues, in order to ensure your enjoyment of your trip to its fullest, it is important to assess your personal level of fitness and your eating regime when choosing a trip.
That being said, you don’t need to be a professional gourmand or athlete to enjoy a DOMAINES & TERROIRS JOURNEYS. Each trip offers a variety of daily activities, with sampling the local cuisine and regional products as our aim, so any dietary concerns should be discussed with us during your decision making phase especially as each region has its own customs and etiquette centred around food.
For guests who are regularly engaged in cardiovascular activity, we recommend you let us know in advance, so we can do our best to accommodate these needs.
How will I be transported during my Journey?
The price of your DOMAINES & TERROIRS JOURNEY includes full transportation via our specially equipped van……
Where can I find specific destination details about the region, weather & terrain?
You can find detailed regional information by clicking on the FAQs link on each trip page. If you encounter any difficulty finding the information you seek please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can I get info on groups and/or private trips?
With our private, non-private, custom and corporate trip options, the sky is the limit. We can do just about anything for your group’s active vacation of a lifetime.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. You can view all Photo Attributions here.